Complaints Procedure for Insurance
How do I make a complaint against R.A. Cowen & Partners Ltd?
Please contact our Complaints Officer, Philippa Stapleton, either verbally or in writing who will ensure the matter is thoroughly investigated.
Telephone: 01623 649931
R.A.Cowen & Partners Ltd
As soon as a complaint is received:
All verbal and written complaints will be acknowledged by our Complaints Officer in writing within five business days of receipt. If the complaint can be resolved within five business days, our acknowledgement letter will outline the result of our investigation, unless the complaint can be resolved to your satisfaction by the end of three business days after receipt when we will provide you with a summary of the resolution of the complaint.
If our investigation has not been completed within five business days, our acknowledgement letter will confirm that we will:
- Investigate the complaint and aim to respond within four weeks of receiving the complaint
- Explain that if we cannot complete the investigation within four weeks of receiving the complaint we will write again giving the reason for the delay
- Explain that on completion of our investigation we will inform the complainant of the outcome and the options available to him/her
If the complaint is about another party, such as an insurer with whom we have placed business, we will refer details of the complaint to the third party and confirm this course of action to the complainant in writing.
After we have investigated the complaint:
Immediately on completion of our investigation our Complaints Officer will write to the complainant notifying him/her of the outcome of our investigation, and the nature and terms of any settlement (if applicable). Any compensation we offer will be fair and the basis of the calculation will be explained.
If we cannot resolve the complaint within four weeks:
If, for any reason, our investigation is not concluded within four weeks, our Complaints Officer will write to the complainant again informing him/her that our investigation is continuing, giving the reasons for the delay and a date by which our Complaints Officer expects to be able to contact the complainant again.
If we cannot resolve the complaint within eight weeks:
While we would always aim to complete an investigation within eight weeks if, for any reason, our investigation is not concluded within this period, our Complaints Officer will write to the complainant again, informing him/her of the reasons for the further delay. We will inform him/her of the reasons for the further delay and advise that if he/she is not satisfied with our progress he/she may refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. See www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk for further details. In these circumstances, this must be done within six months or you may lose this right.
If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, after following our complaints procedure, you may have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This must be done within six months of our final response, otherwise you may lose this right. We will provide you with contact details for the Financial Ombudsman Service and you can also find information on their website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk and their contact details are:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
London E14 9SR
Please be aware that the Financial Ombudsman Service will only consider complaints from the following:
- A consumer (any natural person who is acting wholly or mainly for purposes which are outside his trade, business, craft or profession)
- A ‘micro-enterprise’ employing fewer than 10 persons (i.e. 9 or less) with a turnover or annual balance sheet that does not exceed €2 million
- A ‘small business’ (other than a micro-enterprise) with an annual turnover of below £6.5m, and less than 50 employees or with an annual balance sheet total of below £5 million
- A charity with an annual income of less than £6.5 million
- A trustee of a trust with a net asset value of less than £5 million